Helping People Recover from a Debt Crisis

« Back to Home

How To Handle A Bill For Back Taxes?

Posted on

Did you fail to file your taxes a few times? If you don't file your taxes, the IRS will know and might come after you for the taxes you owe. Having the IRS hounding you for taxes isn't a great place to be, as they can use various techniques to collect this money. So, what should you do if you owe money for back taxes? Here is a guide to help you know what you can do about it. 

Hire a lawyer

The first thing you'll want to do is to hire a lawyer. But what type should you hire? You can contact a bankruptcy law firm for help. Bankruptcy lawyers generally offer services relating to bankruptcy cases, foreclosures, and tax debts. They'll know how to handle back tax problems, and they can offer the best advice for your situation. Some people choose to handle their cases without hiring a lawyer. However, this isn't recommended, as dealing with the IRS is a challenging and overwhelming task.

Bring your documents

You can schedule an appointment to meet with a lawyer face-to-face to discuss your situation. Before attending this meeting, it's wise to gather all your documents pertaining to the matter. For example, you can bring all the letters the IRS sent you. You might also bring documentation that shows the wage garnishments you currently have, and your lawyer might suggest bringing your tax filing documents. If you haven't filed your taxes yet, your lawyer might recommend starting with that.

Learn about the options for handling back taxes

Next, your attorney can review your information to decide how to handle it. In the best-case scenario, your lawyer might discover that you don't owe the money the IRS says you owe. If that's the case, you'll be able to settle the case quickly. However, your attorney might suggest working out a deal with the IRS if you do owe the money. You can do a payment plan to repay the money or settle the balance for a lower amount than you actually owe the IRS.

Seek legal help immediately

Ignoring the IRS letters won't erase your debt. Instead, ignoring it will only lead to worse consequences. Therefore, you should start looking for a local bankruptcy lawyer to help you with your case immediately. A tax lawyer knows how to handle tax debts and stop wage garnishments and can help you with your case.

Contact a local tax lawyer to learn more.